10-16-2013, 09:07 PM   #26
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotrod182 View Post
The i3 is superior to the Volt in many respects, which justifies the price premium.

The i3 is:
Quicker than the volt. Better power to weight ratio than the Volt.

Gets better mi/kWh than the volt. (Pretty much guaranteed at this point)

More agile and responsive handling than the Volt.

Roomier inside than the Volt.

Has at least twice the EV range than the Volt. (What matters most to EV buyers anyways.

Has quick charging option, compared to the slow charger on the Volt.

Has far more exotic construction than the Volt with the CFRP.

Has LED headlights standard (US version)

Etc........

Different class of car in the opinion of most people.
Funny how we compare 0-60 times on cars that are meant to conserve energy and save the planet. The Volt is about 1 second slower, that is THAT important? I've not driven the i3, nor probably have you. I've driven the Volt, you think because it is an American-made Chevrolet it handles poorly, I can assure you it does not; it has class-leading handling, braking and steering. Why does a city-car like the i3 need BMW-level of handling anyway (which from all reports I've read it doesn't). I've been driving a BMW 3-Series as a daily driver for the past 25 years, I'll contend I know a good handling car when I drive one.

As I said, despite its exotic construction, when compared to the Volt the i3 equipped with the optional range extender, the Volt beats the i3 in range vs. vehicle weight. The Volt offers twice the total range as the i3 range extender version when both are fully charged and fully fueled, and the volt weighs oly about 1,000 lbs. more than the i3.

Both EVs are really meant to charge overnight. The volt has 3 times the gas-mode range than the i3, so what does it matter if the i3 charges faster. If the average daily use of an EV matched to the 40 mile average daily driving habits of US citizens, the Volt has an adequate EV-only range for most people considering an EV.

LED headlights in a City car that travels on generally well-lit streets is that important and worth the $10K extra price? Okay..
Appreciate 0