04-12-2014, 03:04 PM   #8
jadnashuanh
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 535iGT x-drive; i3 BEV

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeJ. View Post
Should it be illegal to allow the owner to kick in the range extender at 18% charge so you can manage a longer drive with added gasoline?
This was an accommodation BMW made to get certain consideration from CA regarding access to the HOV lanes you could abide by the rules on occupancy, and drive there, but this is for just the driver - if you want to blame anyone, blame CA and the people there that elected the people that made the rules and regulations. While BMW could change the coding for other states that don't follow CA's lead, that would make it harder on inventory control, so we in the USA all 'suffer' from that 'feature' imposed. It is almost certainly a software thing, and I'd be surprised if it wasn't able to be changed. If you happened to be registering the vehicle in one of those states abiding by that requirement, and it was discovered, you may be in for a big fine and revocation of your access to the HOV lane. Until it happens, those are just guesses. So, it comes down to access to the HOV lanes, or breaking the law...only you can decide which is best for you - you could just buy one without the REx, then it's a moot point.
Appreciate 0