View Single Post
      05-03-2014, 05:36 AM   #72
Dazzler
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 Jerez 2007, 1M on order

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
Since when did so many car hating trolls show up on these forums?
I think it's just disappointment that BMW didn't make a true supercar.

Regards of the motive power everyone has been yearning for BMW to engineer a true supercar for years and this is what they come up with?

It is sad because this thing is gonna be a sales flop / white elephant and BMW will then wait another 20 years before trying again.

What they should have done is offer a hybrid version of say the 6 series f12 to develop all the electric tech and used the dev resources and time to make the 8 series a true competitor to Audi R8 / Lambo Aventador / ferrari 458.

Another point: Driving a "supercar" (eg something super low with gull wing doors etc) is a compromise in daily use (poor visibility - hard suspension - low ground clearance - difficult to enter/exit because of height). You drive a supercar because you are prepared to compromise all of that because of the F%$k off performance. You don't drive it daily - you drive it to drive it.

Why then would anyone in their right mind want to compromise in the way they need to for a supercar but NOT have performance to make up for it? I hope I have articulated it - that is the point. Suffer all the downsides of supercar packaging and yet still have something that wont feel better to drive than an m3?

Also, all that analysis aside - and I am fanatical about BMWs - I think the i8 is Ugly. I have seen it in person - it's too busy - especially the rear.

Appreciate 0