05-06-2015, 08:20 AM   #68
Epirali
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW e Copper i8 Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by red-sauerkraut View Post
While I think the i8 is a cool car, it's not 100% Electric and definitely not Born Electric.

Even if Tesla brings out the 3 late in the game BMW is going to be stuck with a $50000usd i3 and there will be 200 mile battery options by then, so many will no longer need to charge, that includes myself.

Nissan will bring out its new Leaf based of the new design language ( Search Nissan Sway to see the direction ) by the end of next year. Infiniti will follow with the LE. And there are 1000 mile batteries made with water/aluminum/air in the wings.

Soon there is going to be huge paradigm shift in the car Industry, I hope everybody is ready.
Don't take this the wrong way, but this is wishful thinking. "Born Electric" doesn't mean anything to the masses. Most people don't care how their car operates, they just want it to operate efficiently, reliably and cheaply.

There is no magic battery technology around the corner, there is just a "efficiency of scale" cost and some size reduction possible. There is no 1000 mile batteries coming around anytime soon. And electric cars are great for short distance commuters, but most people will not lock themselves in as their only car. And I think the solution a lot of major car makers are converging on, providing 30-40 miles miles as plug-in and then a hybrid setup is perfect answers for a lot of people. In the city and short commutes they will be electric only, but then fire up and go if they need.

And btw i8 was "born" exactly to be what it is, very balanced between the two technologies. IMHO i3 is nothing more than a more upscale Leaf, and for me its not worth it.
Appreciate 0