Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: bmw

Quote:
Originally Posted by afadeev
Quote:
Originally Posted by -c- View Post
I agree on many points except for the loss of tactile buttons, it may work for you but data shows muscle memory doesn't work with touch screen. Our ergonomic / human factors dept. keeps such things from totally taking over, stuff like this is a nightmare for them
I half agree with the assertion that physical buttons are easier to use than virtual, but the complexity of modern cars have all but required a migration to iDrive or touch-screen type interfaces.

There are just far too many options to configure, and installing physical buttons for all of them is both expensive and impractical. At some point, having too many buttons confuses more than it simplifies, and becomes a joke (Porsche tranny tunnel, Mustang's phone dial pad buttons):
[IMG]https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/atta...59-jpg.100876/[/IMG]
[IMG]http://skatepride.com/wp-content/upl...-Wallpaper.jpg[/IMG]
Each automaker is doing their best to find the right balance between virtual and physical buttons ratio. BMW's iDrive was the first to go into majority virtual menu spectrum. People promptly hated iDrive when it first came out. Now it's praised as one of the better UI implementations.

About ~90% of the features and configuration are hidden within iDrive, with only ~10% accessible via dedicated buttons.

Tesla takes it to ~95% touch-screen.
The trend is clear, even if your ergonomics department is resisting it...

a
Lol that I completely agree with theirs always a right amount.

But the basics should be their

I personally hate touch screen as I love a clean interior and hate greasy fingerprinted screen and like the dial interface as my arm is not distended trying to tap options on screen.

We have found also during drives, especially on sports cars the driver gets frustrated trying to hit options on screen as their hands jump around in rough pavement so we design the GUI to account for that but it's still far from perfect.

Trends are trends for that reason their hot then they loose their appeal.

Theirs a quality aspect to good and well done buttons, all in a touch screen is stupid and starts to cheapen the car. Looks cheap and boring. One of the reasons I hate the model s interior so much is it looks cheap for an 80k dollar car, design looks like a supplier up to showcase the technology. Audi interiors win awards time and time again as they have a good balance of technology and traditional buttons and just beautiful fit and finish. It jewelry.

The human factors guys want to keep their job so yea their gonna hate that stuff anyway.

I can tell you tesla is a small company that isn't stuck in the mud with years and years of legacy like many others so their not bogged down with it but they still need their basics.

The majority will not be going that route as customers have stated they don't want everything on a screen so that's what keeps us from going that route also. Teslas a small fraction of customers who don't care and are forward thinking so their open to try new things. Majority of the population isn't interested in everything on a monitor, especially if the monitor fails.

The least the model 3 should have is a HUD if they want to get rid of the cluster.

Let them try new stuff, it will either do well or fail, I do however see a lot of tesla people acting like apple people where even if the company makes something that is questionable they trip over each other to be the first to get it and that they can do no wrong.

Silly really. No company is immune from making mistakes. I'm holding my bets as to think what we saw was more of a prototype interior anyway and hopefully their will be some upgrades.
Appreciate 0