Drives: 2015 BMW i8

Garage List
I12 BMW i8  [0.00]
F13 BMW M6  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by twm6 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twitch Massacre View Post
So I just got my display key from my dealership today for my '15 i8 (US). I'm wondering if there is a way to access a settings menu for the key itself. I need to turn the brightness on this massive thing down before it burns a hole through my skull. Also, has anyone found a decent case for this? BMW hilariously omitted a way to attach a keychain, and to be honest this is a large piece of glass and plastic which does not seem as robust as a regular key is. So seeing as I drop my keys regularly, I'm in need of some kind of case, preferably with the option to attach a keychain. Currently all BMW has to offer is a $50ish leather envelope which covers the entire key and scores a 0 in practicality (also not "keychainable"), and a $300ish S&M bodysuit by Mont Blanc which scores a perfect 10 in douchery (but is "keychainable"). Any clues greatly appreciated.
mind sharing what did you have to do to get the key?
I simply walked into my dealership's part department with my license and registration, gave the guy the part number, he then tried to tell me the key is not on the part list for my car and that he wouldn't be able to order it because it wouldn't work and the part is non-refundable. I obviously brushed this off and politely asked him to order it anyways, if it didn't work (I was 100% sure it would anyways) I'd just have a really futuristic looking $600 paperweight. They looked at my proof of ownership and ordered it and the key arrived in two business days. When it arrived the same guy told me "I looked into it further, it will work for yours cause it's a 15 but it won't work on 14s". I think we determined that too is inaccurate since some members here have them working on 14s already. Anyways, once I got it I just opened my car with my old key (which now resembles a spare valet key in comparison to the huge but luxurious looking display key), left the old key out of range, held the new key up to the magic spot and it was instantly paired. Been working like a charm ever since, except I can't seem to get the preconditioning to act right. Really like the fact that you can turn the display function completely off when you want to and the key still works like a conventional BMW key fob so I was pleasantly surprised there's no real need to worry about constantly charging it or the battery going flat. The battery seems to last a very long time even though I've been playing around with it like a child does with his new iPhone on his first week of ownership, and there's really nothing to worry about in the event of it going completely dead if I forget to charge it in the next few days.
Coming Soon:
2016 BMW M4 GTS De-Winged and Bagged on 22s
Appreciate 0