Enlisted Member
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G20

Garage List
2019 BMW 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMaxXHD View Post
While not commenting directly on the new OS’s, I just want to point out how categorically stupid this is from a software management pov and a consumer pov.

For perspective, starting July 2023 according to the document, you will be able to buy current model year, NEW off the production line cars, within BMW’s lineup that includes, idrive 7, idrive 8, or idrive 8.5. If they don’t add any more cars to 8.5 before November 2023, you will be able to buy brand new off the production line cars with any 1 of 4 idrive systems with the inclusion of idrive 9.

This is can only mean 1 thing, you can still buy vehicles brand new that likely won’t be supported long term or even short term software wise. Anyone who just bought an idrive 8 vehicle (assuming OTA/retrofit upgrades are not possible to 8.5), also just got their OTA update support likely decreased dramatically. Not to mention idrive 7 is STILL out there BRAND NEW with the G30 and G01 and will be for likely atleast another year. What a mess.
They explained it a while back, I can’t find the article but will link it when I do. But they always introduce the newest tech changes to lower models and Europe first for a couple of years before expanding it to higher models and USA. Notably I drive 9 as it goes away with buttons and controller completely. 8.5 is being introduced as its Linux based still, so can use the controller knob, but with the graphics resembling idrive 9 as much as Linux can. 8.5 is to create more uniformity as far as the visual aspect to idrive 9, while not upsetting the higher end models/older class of drivers who prefer controller knobs over touch screens. As for idrive 7-8, no idea and never found a true answer on why the jump shift, etc. as for me? I HATE touchscreens in cars and not just because of the constant cleaning. 95% why I came back to a BMW was because of idrive and the controller as I don’t use CarPlay, shocking as I’m not even 30 I know, and much prefer traffic and nav from BMW than CarPlay or any other manufacture’s version.
Appreciate 3
LuckyBrand1448.50
2srsman72.50
lfdal541063.00