View Single Post
      05-13-2023, 12:07 AM   #9
RSouthern
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X7

well I can now answer my own question and share with the community... We started with a 90% charge and a full gas tank in Santa Clarita (after a quick stop at Tommy's!) and had no problem driving north over the Grapevine on HWY 5. We used the battery until it got to 75% then turned on hold state of charge and used about 1/3 of the gas to get to the top of the hill. So driving 70ish mph (+/- 4 mph), it only used about 1/4 of the battery and 1/3 the gas. Keep in mind this was north bound, during the day in 70F weather, without using A/C. Rain, night, snow etc could have cut deeper into our energy reserves. We had pretty optimal conditions.

We did stop at the outlets at Tejon (bottom of the Grapevine) to recharge at a chargepoint, except the Chargepoint charge wasn't a Chargepoint, it was a Shell Energy station (located adjacent to a huge Tesla/SuperChargerand farm) and required we setup a new account and deposit a credit of a min of $10 to use the charger, which then proceeded to charge as slow as a level 1 charger, giving us about 3% charge over the course of an hour. Terrible. And the money is locked up with the account since it only used about $1.60 for the charge. But that's a rant for another day.

Luckily using the hold state of charge got us all the way home with 5 gas ups. Leaving us with 65ish% charge and a full tank of gas in San Jose. While it's not a road trip car, it was more than capable of driving the 300+ miles, through the central valley, at highway speeds (70-75 mph) with occasional use of AC and was ready to resume around town duties. I love this car!
Appreciate 1
ohibo61.50