View Single Post
      09-04-2023, 08:42 AM   #3
Budget M3
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Compared to your Bentley’s annual service costs, the i8’s will be a drop in the bucket. While there is indeed little DIY info out there, basic maintenance like oil changes are very straightforward. They hybrid drivetrain is the only really complex part of the car (including AC and coolant lines which run through it to keep the LiIon batteries cool). It can be expensive to repair in the rare cases where failure is not caught early, but certainly no more expensive than an engine out service in the Bentley. Earlier cars are more susceptible to the AC compressor failure than later cars. Some parts are interchangeable with other BMWs or Minis (remember the motor is a Mini-based 3-cylinder), but there are many that are unique to the i8, too.

Overall, the i8 is pretty reliable. Check battery condition upon purchase—about $200 for the dealer to do this for you—or use the hidden menus to see how many KwH remain after a full charging cycle.

Hope this answers some of your questions. Much of the info you seek can be found by reading and searching this forum and viewing Pat’s Garage channel on YouTube.

Good luck!
'85 M635CSi Alpine w/buffalo; '03 M3 Conv, Imola
‘85 323i Baur; ‘02 X5 4.6is Estoril; ‘95 Racing Dynamics K30.4
Appreciate 0