03-21-2024, 05:21 PM   #17
ggalanis
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2023 iX 50, 1989 325ic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladin1 View Post
On the flip side, if ChargePoint can determine remotely if something is going on with an EVSE that is potentially unsafe (support quality completely aside - that's more the norm these days), that's totally a good thing. Worth repeating:
I understand the importance of a proper installation and the risk of such high amperage. But even with that,... Nope. Not ok. The device should be able to detect any faults itself and protect itself without the need for remote commands being issued to it by anyone but the owner. There is a difference between the device detuning itself if it detects a fault and the company deciding to detune it for you when there is no fault... Just in case..... Cause they felt like it or want to limit their risk of a lawsuit.... It isn't their device.

Years ago i had a Cisco/Linksys router that I had configured and specifically set the option for auto updates to OFF. I manually updated it when I saw fit and was diligent back then to read up on vulnerabilities and such so that I didn't run an unsecure router. I never allow any remote access to my router as I have zero need for that. One day I needed to tweak some setting when I was home and was surprised to see that the thing updated itself nonetheless and was now requiring me to create an online account on their cloud service in order to configure my own device. I unplugged the internet connection from it and was "allowed" to do the configuration locally instead and the next thing I did was order a replacement router from a different company, added them to my blacklist and threw that one in the trash.
Appreciate 0