View Single Post
      04-27-2024, 12:36 PM   #1
copebmw
Rep
Drives: 2024 iX xDrive50

New iX, first charging at EA with Plug and Charge issue

I just picked up my new 2024 iX last week. I’m loving my first electric vehicle. Such a nice car!

I did my first charge at a public station yesterday and had an issue and wondered if this was normal. This was a fairly new EA station.

I have the EA Plug and Charge contract properly loaded in the car, and the feature is turned on. I also have the EA account set up in the MY BMW app. I had never used it before yesterday.

When I plugged the car in, the charger took a moment to communicate with the car, then came up with a “guest” screen showing prices. I figured it needed a moment to notice the Plug and Charge account, but it sat there quite a while and then the car said “Charging Error.” I unplugged and plugged in again and tried again with the same result.

I then remembered that I had put the BMW free charging card into the Apple Wallet, so I pulled that up and, after unplugging/replugging, tapped the card reader. That gave an error that the reader wasn’t working, and I should use the app.

Finally, I used the My BMW app and tapped “Charge Here.” It knew where I was, and I chose the charger number. It then came up and asked me to accept Terms and Conditions, which I did. After that, it started charging and worked well.

I wonder if Plug and Charge didn’t work because I needed to accept the Terms and Conditions first? That seems plausible. I’ll definitely try again the next time I use an EA charger. I’d really like Plug and Charge to work, especially for my wife.

Does this seem normal? Does anyone have advice or similar experience? And any tips and tricks for charging would be appreciated. This is all very new to me.

Thanks.
Appreciate 0