03-10-2018, 01:52 PM   #4
rolltidef32
National Championship #17 and Counting!
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW i3s and 2019 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by afadeev View Post
Can you clarify your question a bit:
  • Are you asking about L1, or L2 charging?
  • Are you concerned about protecting the vehicle from potential power surges, or the house wiring from power consumption induced by charging the i3?

The short answer is - I can't think of a situation when additional surge protection would be warranted beyond that which is embedded into your L2 charger.

If you are worried about protecting your L1 cable - don't. You will give up on using it pretty quickly and will end up buying an L2 charger (or using one of the public ones). 99% of us end up going that rout for the reasons you will soon discover.

a
I am referring to surge protection for a level 2 charger. Currently looking at the TurboCord Dual charger due to it's small size and portability (meaning when we move, rather than for travel).

I'm seriously giving thought to only using pubic charging stations, as I live about a mile from a DC fast charger, and there is one only a few blocks from my office. Atlanta has a ton of EVs and charging stations are everywhere inside the Perimeter which is where I live.

Surge protection from public chargers that may be faulty, or if plugged in at home and late night storms roll through worry me a bit. Does the car have built in surge protection?

The TurboCord can be purchased for around $370 and the state gives a $250 credit or rebate for home chargers, so I'm thinking about this option for convenience.

Based on my normal weekly driving habits, I'd need to charge the BEV twice per week give or take.

When you say I'll "soon discover", are you referring to how slow the level 1 is or something more sinister with using the cord?

Packs: Technology, Driver Assistance, HK Audio, Park Distance Control
Appreciate 0