12-01-2013, 10:08 AM   #25
ddk632
Chief Senior Executive Managing VP of Orange Sales
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 BMW F87 M2 6MT MG HBDGR !

Quote:
Originally Posted by conradb View Post
I just got done with the i3 experience at the LA Auto Show today as well. The car surprised the hell out of me. It far exceeded my expectations in every way. TBH, the only thing from the entire experience that irked me was the goofy gear selector sticking out of the steering column at the 2 O'Clock position. The acceleration was great, the brakes + regen system made for impressive stopping power, and the center of gravity is so low that it makes for a surprisingly sporty car, and I own a E92 M3 (I took a turn quite hard in it). The interior quality is top notch. I suppose the exterior design is subjective, which I'm partial to, but I have no real complaint about it. The rear suicide doors (a la Toyota FJ) are not bad, but not great. I love the new LED lights. The 2.5gal gas tank 2cyl petrol generator is a must-have option for only about $3-4k extra.

I'm not sure how all the rebates work, but you can get up to $10k rebate back from the state of CA if you're a resident. That makes this car about ~$35k with the generator.

My overall experience with the new i3 is a 9/10.
Great input, glad you had a good experience as well.

I didn't mind the gear selector that much, but I can see where it's not in a usual position; trucks and vans have a gear selector in that general area, whereas sporty cars it should be center console only.

Btw, I forgot to post one pic, will add to the first post ... this is not from the BMW i Experience, but from inside the Auto Show; either way it fits with the thread...

BMW i3 at LA Auto Show by ddk632, on Flickr
Appreciate 0