United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 BMW F87 M2 6MT MG HBDGR !

i3 Test Drive at LA Auto Show : Pics and Impressions

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
Some Brief Impressions of the BMW i3

BMW i Experience by ddk632, on Flickr

Like many people in or visiting LA this week, I stopped by the LA Auto Show to check out some cars. The first thing I actually did, though, was to walk over to the BMW i Experience across the street from the LA Convention Center, and signed up for a test drive of the BMW i3.

There was a fleet of at least 38 (because I saw that number on the back of one, pictured below, hehe) Solar Orange i3's available to drive, enough that at any given time, there didn't seem to be much of a wait to get into a car once you registered.

i3 Reflected in i3 by ddk632, on Flickr

I also noticed that BMW had a beautiful, large hospitality tent set up, with only Toyota having a similar size area - the other manufacturers offering test drives had some basic tents. BMW also served refreshments and various chips, dips, and other reception type food. It was very nice. The hospitality tent also had many sitting areas where one can relax and chill. I was a bit excited and forgot to take many pictures in there, but here are a few:

BMW i Accessories by ddk632, on Flickr

i3 Carbon Fiber Reinforced Plastic (CFRP) Tub by ddk632, on Flickr

The i3 Test Drive

Self in i3 (2) by ddk632, on Flickr

First off, let me preface this by saying I've never had any interest in the i3. The i8 holds my heart strings firmly in her grip, and I'm not much of a fan of small cars.

Still, since its release and with more info about the BMWi philosophy, I've gained enough interest and hey, they offered to drive one, so why not?

Self in i3 by ddk632, on Flickr

Let me tell you, I was completely surprised by my experience. I will first sum it up like this - the smile never wore off my face as I made my way rather quickly through downtown LA making only right turns on the predefined path all of the i3 test drivers had to follow. I actually passed the i3 that left the parking lot in front of me, and made it back before they did

Acceleration

I wanted to test the acceleration after seeing the whole i3 vs M3 drag race video. This thing (the i3) is zippy - does it have kick your head back into the headrest acceleration like my X6M when I nail it with launch control? No, it doesn't. But it gets off the line respectably, and gets up to 45 mph and surpasses that mark if you're not paying attention rather quickly.

In fact, the i3's off the line acceleration was a bit addicting, mostly because it simply isn't expected from a car that looks like the i3.

Regenerative Braking

I was looking forward to seeing how this feels. I'll say this, in normal driving (not mashing the throttle) the effect is very noticeable. You let off the gas and the car has a pulled back sort of feel, completely the opposite of how coasting feels like.

At slightly higher speeds, when mashing the throttle all the way, once you hit about 45mph, the inertia of the car overtakes the regenerative braking and it takes a bit longer to kick in. So if you drive like I do, you may need to use the brakes on the i3 pretty often...

Cockpit

I enjoyed my time in the car. The US Spec cars come with leatherette (fake leather) instead of cloth like in Europe. It had a nice feel to it, not luxury, but cozy and comfy. Not a bad place to spend some time in city traffic. I like the materials and the styled wooden dash.

** Edit ** -- the US Spec cars do in fact come with real leather as an option, with SensaTec (leatherette / fake leather) as standard, according to this i3 spec sheet document linked to by by Bimmerfest user "uter".

i3 Cockpit and Gauges by ddk632, on Flickr

i3 Dash by ddk632, on Flickr

Fun Factor

i3 Test Drive Complete by ddk632, on Flickr

My overall impression is that the i3 is a cool car and will be great for what it's aimed for, namely, to fulfill duties as a city car.

It's zippy, quick, handles well (I tried out a few fast lane changes and turns), and has a nice comfortable and cozy interior. It was fun to drive, without a doubt!

I was never a fan of its looks but it has grown on me a bit. I think owners will be very pleased with these vehicles.

i3 Parking by ddk632, on Flickr

BMW i Sign by ddk632, on Flickr

( Photo below is from within the LA Auto Show, added 12/1/13 )

BMW i3 at LA Auto Show by ddk632, on Flickr

Most importantly, driving the i3 gave me great feelings and even more excitement about how awesome the i8 will be to drive. That day can't come soon enough.

Last edited by ddk632; 12-01-2013 at 10:09 AM..
Appreciate 0