08-08-2013, 11:32 AM   #21
Matski
Captain
England
Rep
Drives: A slow BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraggy View Post
So where is all this electricity coming from?

According to the DMV, there are about 27million cars and trucks in California, http://dmv.ca.gov/about/profile/official.pdf.

In San Diego where I live, during summer months we don't have enough electricity to keep our lights on and routinely have blackouts due to lack of electrical supply. Imagine if those 27m vehicles were electric how much greater the electrical drain would be.

And if we could meet demand, how would it be done? Coal plants? Nuclear? And what consequences are we creating for ourselves by doing so? I'm not so sure electric is a panacea, but correct me if I'm wrong.
Some countries produce electricity cleaner than others, but as fossil fuels get more expensive, and renewable sources and/or nuclear become more common, the balance will shift. It doesn't matter to an EV where the power comes from, it will still run on it... in the US it's only about 10% renewable energy, but that is certain to rise. You try running an M3 on 10% renewable petrol! It's impossible!

It's not the car manufacturers job to ensure that every country around the world generates it's electricity from renewable sources... it's something they should be doing anyway.

But the scenario of 27 million electric vehicles is a long long long way off yet!
Appreciate 0