04-20-2014, 12:55 PM   #16
Tilum
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: i8 (on order)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddk632 View Post
Excellent, comprehensive sets of photos. Thanks so much for taking the time to shoot all of these and post them online for us to see and review.

I agree about those read cup holders, they look like a complete afterthought and stick out like a sore thumb. Sometimes I get the feeling that some of this Eco business is a code word for using cheap materials. It is what it is. Maybe there will be some accessories available to upgrade some of these things.

Some CFRP cup holders would have matched the car and concept very nicely.

C'mon BMW!

Also I am rooting for the display key, like all of us I am sure.
You're welcome David. Glad my efforts are being appreciated (takes quite a bit of time to sort through all the pics, edit them (e.g. crop, rotate, adjust brightness & contrast...), and upload them!).

I'm really hoping BMW change the cup holder in particular, as it is a very noticeable part in the cabin, hence instantly lowering the tone of the cabin.
One of the BMW reps (who was pi**ing me off as he obviously had very little knowledge of the car yet tried to give the impression he knew what he was talking about!) said that it was plastic in order to keep the weight down. But as you say David, if that was purely the case, then that doesn't stop BMW from making a CFRP one!

I also hope that they change the visors as they are awful quality TBH. And the headlining was dreadful as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by X3paul View Post
I am really impressed with the poor quality interior of this car. A vw polo has better quality plastics. Using the idrive controller from a 20k 116i on a 100k + flagship sports car would be a big no no for me. The climate control panel looks like an 80's aftermarket cd player. terrible. I would get an m5 - more power, better sound, better quality and spend the rest on an i3.
Quote:
Originally Posted by forrests View Post
I have decided for sure now. I'm waiting until version 2 comes out in 5 years! This car concept is great but it is missing too many features which I think are needed in a car of this price and a car with such a limited external view. Also the build will improve over time as will the features.
I'm going with a gas hog like Carac has!!!
Sorry for the result on the environment but I want only 1 car to do all I need. This first generation i8 just doesn't cut it!
Good luck to all who DO buy it.
TBH, on the whole, I quite like the interior it's modern yet not too futuristic where it would like you were driving a wannabe space-ship!
I agree with you that some of the plastics used and some other aspects of the car aren't of great quality, and hence don't have a feel premium feel.
However (and I know I'm probably going to p*ss off quite a few BMW owners here by saying this LOL), BMW have never really used particularly high quality materials (wrt the non-load bearing items) in their cars. I was in a new M6 the other day, as well as the new X5, and also the X6, and the materials are poor in them too TBH, despite all of the cars I was in costing $100k+!

Audi are the same TBH. I was in an R8 GT Spyder a few months back, and even then I mentioned how poor the quality of the trim was! Porsche also do it to a certain extent, by using cheap nasty plastic in their indicator / wiper controller stalks, even in their c. $200k 911 Turbos!

Having said all that, the i8 is great in other areas, hence me having ordered one.

@forrests, Wrt your comment "This car concept is great but it is missing too many features which I think are needed in a car of this price", what do you mean by missing too many features? What do you feel it ought to have? (That's a genuine question BTW LOL.)
And regarding, "a car with such a limited external view", are you aware that there is a 'Surround View' option, which uses multiple cameras for greater all-round vision?
P.S. Guess that means you'll also be changing your "Drives: i8" info(?)
Appreciate 0