JasH
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: McLaren & Ferrari & i8 & i3

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGR View Post
Interesting info and probably quite predictable for a road car. Carbon Ceramic brakes and decent brake fluid really needed for track use, modified engine/brake cooling probably useful as well for 'normal' road cars.

I agree. The big issue is the car's weight, and brake size & materials. As well as cooling on the brakes of course.

I drove a modded Nissan GTR around the same track and after about 4-5 laps the brakes were literally smoking. I didn't drive it full-on either, as it was a friend's car. The reason for that is primarily the car's weight, but also the other factors above. The brake pads were finished after that day and had to be replaced.

My Lotus has normal steel brakes, but the brakes are big, pads are race pads, cooling is good, and the car weighs only 750Kg (half a F488), so it can go around all day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGR View Post
Wonder what it would take to make an EV capable of continuous high discharge/recharge without frying the battery, cabling or motor - with today's tech it might simply be too heavy/costly to be worthwhile?
I think some research into Formula E is needed to see how they do it...!
As you say, the answer lies in Formula E. Expensive, focused and light-weight. Even then, I don't know how many races a battery pack will last on those. Maybe just 1 race?
Appreciate 0