View Single Post
      11-07-2010, 11:17 AM   #44
jmunro
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: X6

SCOTT26,

I do appreciate many of the products that BMW has produced, and my experience in image is restricted to the US. My comments on BMW becoming the German Toyota is centered around image, and not performance. It's quite obvious that a Toyota Camry and a BMW 3-Series sedan from a performance perspective don't even enter the same conversation. There is a common feeling that the 3 series sedan is becoming the new Toyota Camry here in the US. The 3-Series sedan is the cute little family sedan for young families and young professionals. Again, here in the US image is everything and I have a feeling that BMW would have a hard time ignoring the money of their primary consumers and the market.

Obviously I don't know the numbers, but it would be interesting to see what percent of 3 Series, and 5 Series are purchased by families and others who could care less about the performance of the car as opposed to those who purchase a BMW for what it really is. My guess is that following the market of consumers that purchasae the car for the badge will slowly erode the product from a performance aspect.

Also, VW is the German Honda, not Toyota. The common consumer is completely unaware of the construction or performance of a car and commonly choose their car based on marketing and "looks" of a car. The Golf/GTI and Jetta are essentially analogous to the Honda Civic, aimed at a younger highschool and early 20's population. As you know marketing is a huge part of selling a product and the image of a car company is usually the result of one or two cars.

Again, my thoughts are restricted to the US consumer mind set.
Appreciate 0