View Single Post
      05-03-2016, 12:14 AM   #49
hotrod182
Rep
Drives: 2023 i4 M50

I seem to be reading a lot of the same complaints and hopes for improvement on here that I personally have.

More powerful battery. If this was Tesla, they would take advantage of that and extract more HP from the motor. BMW say's acceleration is subjectively "virtually the same." So with the heavier battery, this car is actually slower now???

This is like BMW doing the LCI on the 335i to a 340i, and saying the gas tank is bigger, but the car is slower. And without the usual improvements/addition of front LED turn signals, DRL design, tail lights, front bumper, etc. The i3 gets none of this?? And instead of more HP of the 340i vs the 335i, the i3 gets worse performance AND efficiency? I would gladly have traded in a little range if the bigger battery provided more acceleration. Or a dual motor M-Sport version. Why should the i3 be one of the slowest BMW's out there? The average V6 Camry/Accord will beat the i3 in the 0-60 run. If the i3 can't compete with the other 200 mile BEVs on range coming out next year, then at least elevate its BMW dynamics and acceleration to a higher class. As it is now, the BOLT is suppose to run around 7 seconds flat, and the model 3 will beat that. If the BMW was faster/sportier, at least some people would still be in the market for it. There are more people looking for a good looking, longer range, quick accelerating BEV, than those that are interested in having a car because it is one of the most efficient, sustainable BEVs you can buy.

The car is also long overdue on the following:

Improving the cheap/simple ATARI quality drivers instrument cluster to match the look/design of the tech-package I-drive screen, etc.

The door/dash panel material (Kenef?), is the subject of many complaints from the general target market. People believe a car of this price should wow them with technology, performance, and luxury. You get in a 6 series GC, and the interior design, and materials exudes luxury. The i3 on the other hand looks like the door panels are turned inside out. With the unfinished side showing.

A waterproof FRUNK, with more usable storage area.

Expanded rear cargo storage area for the BEV, that has extra space when not equipped the gas range extender.

Ability to see ambient temp, odometer, MPGe on the driver's cluster without having to be distracted with toggling to find the information you seek.

Quicker throttle response off the line, Even compared to a LEAF with its instant throttle response, the i3 is very muted. I like performance, and the i3 is exciting to drive, but I just with it had a little more. And after 50mph, the i3 acceleration is much worse than the Mercedes B class BEV. The Merc weighs 1000lbs more, only has a few more HP, and yet traps around 6mph faster in the qtr mile!

BMW Marketing/Engineers, are you listening????
Please, offer these improvements soon if you want buyers to be interested in the i3 still. Don't let the 200 mile BOLT be just as quick as the i3 for less money.
2008 Monaco Blue JB3 2.0 335i Coupe. 11.33 @ 132.77 mph, 60-130mph: 6.95 seconds
2023 i4 M50 11.48 @ 121.56mph, 3.43 0-60 (dragy)
Appreciate 0