05-04-2016, 04:36 AM   #54
plymjack
Nuclear Chief of the Watch
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 (F25) 2.0D, i3 BEV

Quote:
Originally Posted by evanevery View Post
Spoken like someone who's never actually owned or used one!

Many multi-car families can use an EV on a daily basis without any charging headaches. All that is needed to fit this model is for one of the drivers to have a daily need that can be satisfied by the EV. My wife and I have been using a Chevy Volt as our daily driver since 2012 and we run it almost exclusively on battery. Our daily driving requirements are relatively small. We just plug it in overnight when we get home. Some folks might also plug it in when they get to work. When we need to make a longer trip, we will use a different vehicle with an ICE.

But the EV is the one that works for us as a daily driver. Daily driver - just plug it in when we get home. With 200+ mile ranges in many (non-BMW) EV's, that model is now encompassing more and more families.

Lots of folks are comparing the i3 to the more expensive Tesla line. But please believe me when I say the i3 would not be a trade up from a simple Chevy Volt in ANY category... And I can drive the Volt from Coast-to-Coast just stopping for GAS if I wanted to...
Indeed, Here in the UK most people only have 1 car, but over in the US they often own 2 or 3 - and it makes perfect sense for that to be an EV.
We have the i3 which is perfect for own daily use. QUICK and easy and cheap to run. It might not look "good" but it is very fun & functional.

Paired with our X3 we have a great combination, so no I would not drive the i3 across Europe (yet) but it works for us now.

If you dont like it then fine, and if you want to wait for the next Tesla great - but you are missing out on a gem of a car.
Sony QX10 & GoPro Hero 3
Appreciate 0