View Single Post
      11-16-2013, 03:41 PM   #22
cblandin
Private
Rep
Drives: 97 M3, Volt, XC60

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadnashuanh View Post
I'm now retired, but where I last worked, they did have some vehicle chargers. I think you'll start to see this more and more because there will likely be green credits for them, and an added perk to the employees. But, agreed, at least for now, those are in the minority.

The i3 has a fairly sophisticated battery conditioning system, probably more so than the others out there, so prepping it is not just conditioning the cabin - it's heating the battery pack as well.

Their most efficient mode limits top speed, acceleration, and increases the regenerative braking dramatically, so if your commute fell into that range, bumping the max range up by 40% from the comfort mode can make a huge difference.

It will be interesting once these are readily available in the USA to experience the differences in the modes, and see how they match up with personal driving styles and needs.
The Volt's preconditions the pack as well (as a matter-of-fact it comes on automatically to do just that when plugged in regardless of my own "pre-conditioning" for cabin warmth, etc.). The Volt has a Normal and Sport mode and a "Drive" and "Low" mode. I use the latter for greater re-gen on braking (i.e. love "one-foot" driving). The climate control on the Volt also has an Eco and Comfort mode. I get the impression BMW is taking that a step further which will be good.

I do wish they would install chargers where it made sense (i.e. at offices in parking garages or anywhere else people spend hours) instead of stupid places like a restaurant or pharmacy where you may only be there for minutes or an hour. Of course, with the Volt, the cost of charging commercially exceeded the cost of gas so it never makes sense to charge publicly.

The big motivator for me with the i3 as a possible Volt lease replacement was the improved 0-60 time...unfortunately, that delta is cut in half when the range extender is added. It's still on my list of course.
Appreciate 0