View Single Post
      08-12-2014, 10:31 AM   #7
richb811
Rep
Drives: 2020 G20 330i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddk632 View Post
I think for people who want to just show off, yes they will throw some rims or whatever, that are like any other rims you see on every modified car these days.

That being said, I believe there are many (or is it a few?) i8 buyers who appreciate the tech and development that went into these cars, and wouldn't want to throw that away by placing any set of rims on it, like one would for say, an M6.

Not disputing that there are some beautiful, lighter-than-stock, well done sets of aftermarket wheels out there... Just saying, this car will need something more than that.

It would be nice to see manufacturers of aftermarket rims embrace this idea, and produce rims that will not decrease the efficiency of the i8 while still looking nice.

I look forward to the BMW CFRP rims for the i8 hopefully not too long into the distant future. They would be my first choice for an "aftermarket" wheel for this car.
If you put an OE Sized rim on the car, that is lighter than the current application then you will improve fuel efficiency, braking and handling. Unfortunately BMW is limited by it's bean counters and I have no doubt that once we get our hands on an i8 and pull her shoes off, we will find significant room for weight savings.

There are a multitude of wheel companies out there who do this already, HRE has a number of lighter than stock aftermarket applications that look stunning. BBS also has currently the lightest 19" wheel on the market for the E9x M3, which chops 6+lbs off per wheel over the OE Competition package wheels.
Appreciate 0