08-12-2014, 10:37 AM   #8
ddk632
Chief Senior Executive Managing VP of Orange Sales
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 BMW F87 M2 6MT MG HBDGR !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich@GTBPerformance View Post
If you put an OE Sized rim on the car, that is lighter than the current application then you will improve fuel efficiency, braking and handling. Unfortunately BMW is limited by it's bean counters and I have no doubt that once we get our hands on an i8 and pull her shoes off, we will find significant room for weight savings.

There are a multitude of wheel companies out there who do this already, HRE has a number of lighter than stock aftermarket applications that look stunning. BBS also has currently the lightest 19" wheel on the market for the E9x M3, which chops 6+lbs off per wheel over the OE Competition package wheels.
Agreed OE sized rims are the way to go for this car, and of course, reducing unsprung weight is always a good thing.

It's not just about weight, though - it's the aero. My limited understanding is the stock i8 rims were developed with aerodynamics in mind (wind tunnel tested?) and thus contribute to the overall reduced drag and better airflow around the and through the vehicle.

I think aftermarket would need to do the same for i8 rims. That, and I personally feel that some new designs would be needed. A lot of wheels look very similar to each other and it would be nice to see some fresh designs that match the character and lines of the i8.

Then I think we would have a winner on our hands.
Appreciate 0