View Single Post
      01-31-2014, 06:18 PM   #39
HTR
Registered
Rep
Drives: Varies

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadnashuanh View Post
Tesla's formula is to put in MUCH bigger battery packs, which is a major reason why they cost more. The base vehicle has a 60KwHr battery (nearly 2.5 times the one in the i3) and is only rated at double the mileage of the i3. Or, you can opt for the 85KwHr battery, and get all of another 65-miles range (that's 25KwHr more, for lots of money and about 65% of the distance you'd get in the i3's 24KwHr battery pack). So, the i3 is quite a bit more efficient, because of the design, which is driven by weight.

Unless you have a place to plug in any of these EVs, your efficiency goes way down. The Volt, after it has used up much of the battery capacity, doesn't really get all that great mileage running the motor.

The i3, if you opt for the range extender, is more of a battery level sustainer, not a charger - it's output can keep the batteries from dropping while driving at a moderate speed, but you may be hard pressed to climb a steep grade if it's very long. You may get some charging out of it in stop and go, or low speed, but it is unlikely to be able to recharge to full capacity, partly because the tank is so small, and the generator isn't all that big.

Just putting a larger battery into a vehicle is an ever diminishing benefit. Adding weight, decreases range, which calls for more energy, which adds more weight, which...well, you see what I mean. At some point, adding more batteries DECREASES your maximum range.

Looked at the purpose it was designed for, 100-miles can take care of many people's daily drives. I'm retired, but where I worked, even several years ago, they had chargers. The more EVs, the more these are likely to show up.

FWIW, electric fuel plants are generally much more efficient at generating energy, and, when a vehicle is used in a congested area, cutting greenhouse emissions there affects many more people than the pollution from that plant, often much removed from the urban area. So, EVs, where they may best be utilized, in urban areas, benefit everyone in cleaner air, at least in that urban canyon land.

Take a look at some of the recent reports of air pollution in China (been there, it's nasty!)...now, think if many of those vehicles were replaced by EVs.

I also really enjoyed this review and found it compelling that it was, imo, a much better covered review and had substantial coverage to all aspects of the car, rather than just the performance aspect, like many other reviews.

I also felt that the above comment was very valid. The only point I'd query is charging. In theory you'd expect people to charge their car overnight in their garage, etc. So then driving to get a coffee for half an hour will give a top up charge, but not a full and how many 'charge bays' will there be available, let alone free?!

I for one tho, am extremely excited about the release of the iseries and hope they don't have too many real world bugs to ensure positive future aspects built into everyday cars. Imagine a M135 for example with electric capabilities!
As for the look of the i3, its a light, aerodynamic look - Because that's what it is! Unique, modern and calm!
Appreciate 0