11-17-2013, 07:27 AM   #20
tommolog
Tom Moloughney
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 i3s BEV

Quote:
Originally Posted by SANK_CH View Post
Level 3 standard is more a problem of cost. I was at my dealer 10 days ago and had a quick talk about i3/i8 and charging station. The charging station level 2 that people will be able to buy for their home is priced at 3000,- swiss francs. +/- 3300,- Usd or 2400,- Euros. This dealer will get a charging station of level 3 which costs 40000,- swiss francs (44000 Usd or 32500 Euros). I m not sure that all buyers of an i3 are ready to pay this amount of money for a charging station of L3.
You can get an L2 home charging station for about $500 US on the internet, you don't need to buy the more expensive BMW i branded unit - the less expensive ones charge the car just as well.

Yes, DC fast charge (incorrectly called Level 3 here but that's another story) are very expensive, but the price is quickly coming down. It wasn't long ago when they were $50,000 US but now recently I have seem them as little as $10,000 US. Still way too expensive for anyone to consider buying one for personal use, but the lower prices bring hoe that we will see more of them installed in public venues in the dear future.