Thread: i3- Risky
View Single Post
      05-31-2014, 12:40 PM   #8
jadnashuanh
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 535iGT x-drive; i3 BEV

Modeling only goes so far with prediction of longevity. Real-life experience on some of the earliest electrics implies, given good temperature management and charging logic, they can last a long time. But, nobody really knows for sure. This is sort of like buying a pc...in 6-months or less, it will be obsolete, the new ones may be cheaper, faster, and generally more capable at the same or lower costs. You have to decide when to make the plunge.

FWIW, some places are planning on dropping the state fuel charge taxes in lieu of a miles traveled plan. The hassle is, newer cars get more mpg than the older ones, and end up doing more wear and damage to the roads without paying their 'full share' based on the gallons used...and, this is more true with an electric or hybrid that may not ever be buying gasoline, but still uses the roads, bridges, tunnels, etc. I think, in the long run, EVs will be hit up by the miles driven, cutting the benefit down somewhat verses an ICE.

Still, from a maintenance standpoint, if you drive an EV as most are designed, you won't be producing any emissions in the densely populated areas that are the hardest to keep the air quality up, so they are a benefit. And, if you drive the thing as intended on mostly shorter trips, will save a lot of wear and tear on short trips that affect an ICE.
Appreciate 0