07-30-2014, 08:10 PM   #21
ddk632
Chief Senior Executive Managing VP of Orange Sales
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 BMW F87 M2 6MT MG HBDGR !

Quote:
Originally Posted by x5love View Post
it's gimmicky because it adds no functional value to the car and reminds me of a prius or nissan leaf that uses blue to yell to the world HYBRID! or ELECTRIC!
We can agree to disagree on the definition of gimmicky, then. I mean, it's a paint/color scheme. When did a paint/color scheme ever add functionality to a car besides making it look a certain way?
(The announcement to the world part I agree with, it does do that; I can understand not liking that)

Quote:
i see the BMW roundel surrounded by blue and it reminds me of the Toyota badge that's surrounded by blue on all of otheir hybrid cars

all the blue does it tout efficiency
I get that the blue is there to tout efficiency, though I also (being a tech guy) see blue as a technology color; so to me, it fits very nicely with the i8 in particular.

Quote:
and i think the fact that the only other cars that do this are 20,000/30,000 cars reflects poorly on BMW
Check out the Porsche Panamera S E-Hybrid. The Panamera lettering on the back of the hatch is green, as are the needles in the instrument cluster, with "E-Hybrid" lettering right in the center dial. Same concept, is it not?

[ Edit: Dude, even the Porsche 918 has green freaking brake calipers... being that it is the most efficient out of the 3 hybrid hypercars and all, guess it has to represent that status! ]

I use that example to illustrate that it's not just low-end cars that do this. I think manufacturers are proud of their new and constantly advancing electric/hybrid tech and they want to differentiate it somehow from the regular line-up to showcase it.

Quote:
now red seatbelts, that's cool.

But, what about blue ones?

Last edited by ddk632; 07-30-2014 at 08:24 PM.. Reason: Because 918 green freaking brake calipers
Appreciate 0