Garage List
2014 BMW/M235i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Longboarder
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aye-eight
Quote:
Originally Posted by Longboarder View Post
I haven't had this car very long. Have only driven it 100 miles. But I wanted to see what it was capable of in stock form so I went out and did some vBox runs. Conditions were 70 deg F and 90% humidity, sunny/hazy as fog just lifted. Slight downslope around -1.0 degrees. Car had a full tank of gas and battery was nearly fully charged.

I'm not the greatest driver on earth but I have done quite a bit of vBox testing on my other cars.

Here's the results of three runs. Two 1/4 mile passes and one 60-130mph pass.

First 1/4 mile brake boosting:

0-60 mph 4.466 seconds
1/8 mile 8.341 @ 88.867 mph
1/4 mile 12.741 @ 112.174 mph

Second 1/4 mile WOT off idle:

0-60 mph 4.680 seconds
1/8 mile 8.577 @ 88.851 mph
1/4 mile 12.977 @ 112.236 mph

60-130 pass: 12.928 seconds

Doesn't come close to the magazine times which may mean that a car with 100 miles needs further break-in, or that I need more seat time or both. Also could mean that BMW loads its press cars with a more powerful tune to get the stats of 0-60 in under 4 seconds and 1/4 mile in the 12.2 @ 116 range. I'm thinking a flash tune will be necessary to get these stats. For now I'm gonna drive it as is and see if it gets quicker with more time/miles. But I will likely flash tune it once more options/development has been done. Not sure I want to be a guinea pig on a new platform.
Thanks for trying and sharing the results. There's a couple of people on here who got much closer to the published numbers. First question that arises: did you use launch control? Second question: I don't know if the US version may be slightly different because it's set up for lower-grade gas. Anyone have any experince with M cars on this?

And then, just my two cents worth: I would properly break in the car before trying something like this. There's a thread on here "i8 Engine - Initial Running and Conditioning Period" that talks about 1200 miles to break in the ICE. Just to be on the safe side, I tried to follow that, although it's a guess how far you've actually driven the ICE in an i8. The car doesn't give you the break-down. You can sort of work it out by fuel consumption.
Correct I did not use launch control. So there is a quicker 0-60 and 1/4 mile ET with a better launch. And I have no idea what octane gas the dealer put in the car, which has about 100 miles in it now. For sure when testing again I will have 91 plus 2 gallons of e85 which is the best you can get for a turbo motor.

Modern engines are broken in from the factory. My e92 M3 was dyno'd with 91 octane with less than 300 miles on it and still holds the record for highest dyno hp for that platform. Hell at 4 miles on it I drifted the thing out of the dealer lot when I picked it up lol. Also I ran my tuned 991 Turbo S with 500 miles in it and it did a 6.65 second 60-130 mph run on the exact stretch of road I did the testing today for my i8, and is still a record run for a tune-only 991. So I don't believe that a modern car will make more power with more miles on it.
First of all thanks for posting your results and taking the time to do this test. I love reading everyone's results to their performance tests.

There are two different beliefs about breaking in a car. One is to follow the suggested manufacturer breaking in period. The other is to bribe it from start like a bat out of hell. And some do use this approach.

But you're wrong about all modern cars. Some modern cars do still have to breakin as suggested by the manufacturer. Not 100% sure about the i8, but considering it is a hybrid, I would follow the suggested breaking in period because of the battery and electric motor as it adds more unknowns to the equation.

Perhaps in 1000 miles or so you can do another test and see if the results change.

Follow me on Insta

https://www.instagram.com/bmwm_life_/
https://www.instagram.com/autogiftua/
https://www.instagram.com/phoenixbmwlife/
Appreciate 0