Major General
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW i8

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aye-eight
Quote:
Originally Posted by Longboarder View Post
Engine was running for 25 minutes before beginning the test so oil temps normal. Have done dynos and WOT runs on all my current and prior cars right off the showroom floor with not only zero long term issues, my e92 M3 still holds the world record for a stock dyno done at 300 miles.

In my view modern day engines are already broken in an ready to go.
"The world record"? Who was the competition?

You may believe what you wish, and you may do with your engines what you wish. The fact remains, no manufacturer lets the engines run or drives the new cars around for the equivalent of several hundred miles. Engines are built to better tolerances, but they are not run in when you get them.
There is a S65 website with data from all the dynos posted on M3post and other places courtesy of Pencilgeek. So after beating on that car hard from 4 miles (when I picked it up from the dealer) to 900 miles when I supercharged it to 38,000 miles when i sold it, that car doubled as a track and airstrip car. Probably 20,000 or more redline WOT pulls beyond rev limit (reset to 8,600 rpm) motor was fine. Oil changed frequently. Always warmed up before driven hard. Opened up at 32,000 to do rod bearings and found they were good but replaced them for piece of mind.

Whether they are broken in an engine room or not and simply built to tighter tolerances I will continue to believe unequivocally that modern day engines can be pounded on from the moment they leave the manufacturer.
a couple others
IG: longboarder949; YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT1...eoFBszPIK0gf9w
Appreciate 0