View Single Post
      06-14-2012, 07:03 PM   #28
Rickster311
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M1

BMW is creating this car and at this price for a long list of reasons, some which you have all mentioned.. My opinion..

1) Every IHG manufacture now have plans to create some sort of line of 'green' vehicles. As another member mentioned, this is their halo for the i brand. A halo car that creates PR, awareness, and desire. A must have for a competitive luxury market vehicle

2) It's a direct competitor to the R8 e-tron. The R8 e-tron will be a pure electric R8 and should be in the same price range around 2014.

3) Cars like this aren't made to be sold in massive quantities. I'd be surprised to see more than 2,000 of these the first year it's in market (factor in dealer mark up too).

4) If this car does very well, it could be a test for a more large scale full gas variant to compete against the R8 V10, Acura NSX, SL63, and more than likely the Infiniti Skyline (I wouldn't be surprised to see the GTR go to Infiniti..)

So creating this car, this sub brand, is one of the best moves BMW could make in their long term planning..
Appreciate 0