03-09-2011, 04:49 PM   #54
Matski
Captain
England
Rep
Drives: A slow BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLITZ View Post
This is nearly 4x more expensive though.
Yes but it's not like BMW don't recognise that, and for that reason they aren't expecting it to sell in the same volume. And provided it is a better car than the competition, and has a few features that help to justify a premium price, just as the 1er, 3er, and 5er do against cheaper but comparable offerings from the likes of Vauxhall, Ford, VW, Volvo, Honda, Mazda etc.. then it might just qualify as a premium product also. Remember, well off people may want compact eco motoring also, but not slum it with other Ka owners.

If people think it's ugly (based on camod spy photos ?) then fine, styling will always be subjective. But to slam the concept of the car is short sighted, and if (based on substantial research I expect) BMW decided that there was a business case to produce this car, then it's reasonably safe to assume there pricing strategy and sales forecasts are realistic. Project-i has probably cost BMW hundreds of millions of euro's since it was announced, they are more committed to the future of electric motoring than any other mainstream brand as far as I can tell, even if they stumble now, I'd rather that BMW learned from mistakes now, and gained the knowledge now, so when the inevitable raft of competition turns up from brands that 'never follow' we already have a far better product.

Rant over...
Appreciate 0