View Single Post
      08-04-2014, 06:05 PM   #6
jadnashuanh
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 535iGT x-drive; i3 BEV

Most batteries do not last very long if you discharge them nearly to zero regularly...EV manufacturers limit how much of the battery you can use to make them last longer (I've read Tesla may let you use more of theirs, at potentially a long-term problem, but don't take that as gospel).

BMW chose to not promote a DC fast charge unit that is as fast as the car can take because of the (I think) greater ease in finding locations for them, and because they are considerably less expensive than those that can provide the full charge rate the i3 can use. As a result, you'll not get 80% in 20-minutes with them, but you'll likely end up finding lots more of them scattered around with an occasional full-rate one (more likely those will charge you). When you have a potential big load, you pay the power company a premium above a system that does not require as much, even though they don't run constantly. That also makes a smaller unit easier to install and maintain - less overhead.

Max range is very much a driving habit thing. High, sustained speeds or long mountain grades can sap a battery much quicker than running around town like the vehicle was designed for. It appears that the range to empty is somewhat based on your previous driving, and if you then drove with less load, you could easily drive further than the prediction. I've noticed that mine may only drop 2-miles after a 7-mile trip in predicted max range. I've also seen it go the other way if I'm showing off with passengers!
Appreciate 0