10-22-2014, 04:35 PM   #2
Carac
Captain
Rep
Drives: E30M3, E39M5, SLSAMG, RRS SVR

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKRAPOVICOWNS View Post
"BMW is preparing to celebrate its 100th anniversary and a new report is indicating the company is working on a high-performance i8 codenamed M100.

Rumored to be called the i8S, the model will reportedly be based on the i8 but adopt a sportier exterior and a number of bespoke parts. Details are limited but Automobile Magazine is reporting it will be a two seater with a retuned suspension, beefier brakes and wider tires for improved grip.

Powertrain details are shrouded in secrecy but the company is reportedly considering a twin-turbo 2.0-liter four-cylinder with approximately 320 hp (238 kW) and a 3.0-liter six-cylinder with roughly 480 hp (358 kW). The engine will send power to the rear wheels, while an electric motor - that develops 109 hp (81 kW) or 204 bhp (152 kW) - will motivate the front wheels.

Thanks to the extra oomph, the i8S will reportedly accelerate from 0-100 km/h (0-62 mph) in 3.5 seconds before hitting a limited top speed of 250 km/h (155 mph).
If everything pans out, the i8S will be launched in the United States in late 2017. The model is rumored to cost 30 percent more than the standard i8, so expect pricing to start at roughly $175,000."

Source: worldcarfans.

Anyone has more info on that? They are for sure working on something for the 100th anniversary.
I guess the i9 is now the i8S, which makes much more sense, an i9 should be a 4-door sedan.

Sounds legit, but someone pulled a price straight out of their ass.

Pose this scenario. You're BMW. You've got a 3-cylinder hybrid with a sticker of $137-148k. You have people paying WAY over that to get their hands on the car (well into $200k+ according to some). Now you take your WILDLY successful i8, increase its power by 50%+, replace the 3-cylinder with a larger 4 or 6, make it more aggressive looking, add bigger brakes, retuned suspension, delete the rear seat...and sell it for $25k more? Less than it takes to go from a 550 to a M5? And for less money than people are practically throwing at dealers to get the regular i8? I will spontaneously combust and explode if the i8S (or i9 as we were calling it last week) sells for less than $250k.

Last edited by Carac; 10-22-2014 at 04:41 PM..
Appreciate 0