View Single Post
      08-20-2014, 12:35 PM   #19
ddk632
Chief Senior Executive Managing VP of Orange Sales
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 BMW F87 M2 6MT MG HBDGR !

I think they will not be automatic but based on an app. In Miami already and likely many major cities, you can park and pay with an app on your phone.

The technology already exists for you to pay via your app and the charger would be turned on once payment is posted, for either a set amount of time, or set amount of energy, for example.

I don't see this being mainstream anytime soon, though.

Remember, Formula E is all about pushing the technologies of electric vehicles forward. So wireless charging, while seemingly gimmicky, is perfect for this platform.

As the tech improves, it will have faster charge times, less loss of energy during charging, more security, and more mainstream applications.

I can see this being an interesting aftermarket opportunity for a decade or even longer until such a thing becomes mainstream and cars start to come that way from the factory.

The beauty of it is that there can be multiple standards adopted and implemented in wireless charging tech, where you're not limited by the type of cable/connection that the manufacturer chose to use.

Kind of like multiple bands of cellular technology in one phone that are possible today. Same idea.

I hate cables
Appreciate 0