09-16-2013, 02:29 PM   #17
puffysheep
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by phelot
So for all the people who keep talking about the price being high, I don't know where you're pulling numbers from but here's some numbers for perspective.

R8 V8 130-150k 0-60 4.3 Manufacturer's Specs
991 Carrera 4S 120-140k 0-60 4.3 Manufacturer's Specs

Porsche options are expensive and BMWs are equipped with a lot more things standard.

R8 tech is pretty old now.

And any cars that are significantly faster with this type of styling hit around 160-190k.

Honestly it seems priced just where it needs to be?
Agree that R8 is pretty old now and replacement is on the way.
Also agree that options are lot more expansive on Porsche, however based solely on the base price, 911 Turbo (0-60 3.2 sec) with $148k is closer to $136k of i8 than 4S's base price of $105k.

Argument based on these models of cars can go either way depending on how you look at it but i8's most comparable vehicle Tesla S (0-60 4.4 sec) is only $106k. You can't ignore that fact and just say $136k is not over priced in regards to performance.

Also, if the premium branding didn't matter as much, people can get a Nissan GTR with much better performance or even a Corvette at about half the price of i8. But the fact of the matter is, branding and design do matter. So I can see some people willing to pay a premium for those two qualities in i8 but for a 136k car, performance is underwhelming. Also, it's even more questionable how well i8 will be able to perform with those super skinny tires on track... My Ducati has thicker rear tire than those.
Appreciate 0