10-15-2013, 05:52 AM   #19
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommolog View Post
Yes, of course but if you read my comment it says it's the only EV that offers an optional range extender, which is correct. The Volt doesn't offer an optional range extender. You can't get a Volt without one now can you?
Seriously, we are being that nitpicky? So you also said "it will be a very popular option for many first-time EV buyers". If it will be that popular, then why not offer it standard? It's kind of like air conditioning. Air conditioning used to be a popular option that many buyer chose, so it's now practically standard in every normal passenger vehicle sold in America. If the i3 optioned with the range extender has a gas powered generator (lets not argue whether it actually powers the drive wheels) is it then still truly an Electric Vehicle, or does it become a "hybrid"?

If a first-time EV buyer chooses the i3 because it offers an optional range extender, then what will that person do for his next EV choice, buy the next-gen i3 (with perhaps a 160-mile EV range) without the engine in it?
Appreciate 0