11-30-2013, 04:09 PM   #8
ddk632
Chief Senior Executive Managing VP of Orange Sales
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 BMW F87 M2 6MT MG HBDGR !

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadnashuanh View Post
Taken for what it was designed for - a city car, I think they have a nice product. Now, I hope to find one of those cars at a local dealer, ready for a test drive before they start US deliveries so I can do my own assessment. Wanted to make it to LA, but it just didn't happen with the holiday and having to cross the entire country to get there - may be Detroit will offer something similar.

Did the vehicle you drove have the optional sunroof? If it had the base interior, probably not. As with most vehicles, adding that sunroof impacts headroom, which is a major concern for me. The way BMWUSA has said they are marketing the i3, anything other than the base interior gets a sunroof as part of the package. This is not true other places where the vehicle is sold, and there, the sunroof is a stand alone option. - really frosts me, as it either limits what cars I'd consider owning, or when optional, restricts many of the nicer things that only come with it included.
The vehicle I drove did in fact have the sunroof. I didn't really try and/or figure out how to open it, but I can say it was a glass panel that was internally separated into a driver and passenger section, each with a separate manually operated cover that can be closed to reduce (but not completely eliminate) the light entering the cabin.

I'm 5'8" and headroom wasn't a concern; however if you're 6'5" I can see where you may have a different opinion.

That being said, the part where the sunroof is cutout actually seemed to have more headroom than the rest of the car. As @Touring mentioned above, the i3 is a pretty tall car, especially given how small it is (which it's actually not that small, compared to say, a Smart Car).

If you look at the photo of the i3's parked (2nd to last photo, also the cover photo on the Bimmerpost front page) you can clearly see the sunroof which is open in the 2nd car from left of photo. Not sure if every single car had the sunroof, but I believe many, if not all, of the available i3 vehicles at the LA Auto Show did have a sunroof.

By the way, holidays or not I was determined to fly out to see the i8, so took a red eye Monday from Florida, spent the day in LA, red eye back Tuesday at midnight - about 16 hrs of airport/flight time in a 30 hour period or so - it was well worth it!

Last edited by ddk632; 11-30-2013 at 04:20 PM..
Appreciate 0