rolltidef32
National Championship #17 and Counting!
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW i3s and 2019 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by afadeev View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmg View Post
I really love the form factor and light weight of the i3. I can honestly say an electric X1, X2, or X3 will not be a satisfactory replacement.
Indeed.
If you saw the previews of i5, you'll quickly surmise that BMW has major Model S envy, and is focused on building a Model S competitor.
That would have been fine, but doing so at the expense of i3 for factor, is a terminal turn-off for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolltidef32 View Post
The i3 shows that electric cars can work and be luxurious, yet practical for those of us in big cites with short to medium commutes.

[...]The i3 will pave the way for BMW electric cars over the next 20 years. So, think of the i3 as a pioneer car.

I personally feel part of the start of something great and I hope all i3 and i3s owners will feel this way as well.
Everyone already knew what EVs were good for when i3 was launched, so I don't think BMW contributed anything to EV evangelism.
i8 did add sexiness to EV market, but not the i3.
BMW did throw a huge multi-billion bone to Quandt family's carbon-fiber manufacturing business, but otherwise, i3/i8 experiment was a near total write-off for BMW.

CF manufacturing approach did not scale.
BMW learned nothing about battery tech by outsourcing that to Samsung, and getting stuck waiting for Samsung's to ramp up LiIon density.
BMW did learn how to build EV motors in-house, and is now throwing those into 'hybrids' across its entire production line.
That's, at least, is something, but I have zero interest in over-priced ($10+K) hybrid options with 10-15 mile EV range.

And then there is the i5 SUV/cross-over prototype, that makes 5-series look small, nimble and elegant.
*sigh*.

Luckily, EV market had zoomed way past BMW's offerings, while Bavarians were napping, and is now full of attractively styled and priced alternatives.

I am almost certain my current (second) i3 will also be the last.

a
Think you may be shutting the door early on the CF manufacturing ramp up and integration.

Overall, I do understand the merits of many of your points.

I too, as do most others feel that the battery development has not kept pace with market, but that may show more of BMWs stubbornness in trying to market the i3 as a city car. Think in their limited scope of thought, they saw the i3 as a 7 series or ///M5 owner's second car as in a household with 3 cars for 2 drivers. Silly, but I think they convinced themselves that this was a real thing. Strangely, I fit into this category as the owner of a 911 and an X5 that the wife drives.

To BMW, they saw the i3 as a half cost Model S for half the usability of that car so to speak.

The car now has a faithful cult following, so now they've just continued for a few more years

Packs: Technology, Driver Assistance, HK Audio, Park Distance Control
Appreciate 0