09-12-2013, 10:28 PM   #12
ddk632
Chief Senior Executive Managing VP of Orange Sales
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 BMW F87 M2 6MT MG HBDGR !

Quote:
Originally Posted by pruettfan View Post
Sorry, I thought the question came from the 330 guy who asked about the crumple zone.
Yes, we are talking about the same guy. Actually besides us and Jason who started the thread, I think he's the only other guy in here at the moment (ok that's an exaggeration, there are a few others in here too)

I was interested in the info you provided btw, as the safety of CFRP and how it crumples in order to protect the car's occupants certainly is interesting. I very much like the MP4-12C and thus will search out the videos you were referring to.

But the discussion at hand was about the hood line of the i8. If you look at the 4-Series, or the new X5, you'll see an unsightly straight line where the hood is cut several inches above the kidney grille.

In contrast the i8 does not have this unsightly line, but rather a hood that follows the shape of the top of the kidney grilles.

The general consensus on this forum regarding this unwanted design element has been that regulations for pedestrian safety (so when you take out that grandmother crossing the street, you don't break her legs) and if that's the case, the i8 seems to be the only exception in terms of a newly introduced model, so we were wondering how and why that could be.
Appreciate 0