Tilum
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: i8 (on order)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddk632 View Post
I like the overall shape and style of the i8 interior. Me too

If BMW were to offer the Individual program for the i8, I would special order the center console wrapped in leather and a leather headliner, as well. Don't blame you TBH. Personally an alcantara headlining has a nice preimum feel to itHowever no matter what you do, all of the carpeting in the rear area is going to be hard to do anything about in the i8. I think a big part of that is the 2+2 seat backs not connecting to the seats. It exposes a lot more carpet everywhere. Plus, the plastic back of the front seats should have been Carbon Nice idea, I like your thinking LOL. I think BMW definitely could have gone more all out in those details to make the i8 truly a special car. It still is, to me, of course; just that it could have been more so to the casual observer. I agree, although I suppose (in BMW's defence, we are getting a lot of tech as standard, most of which are cost options on regular BMWs

The nicest interior I've seen in recent times is the Porshce Panamera (a REALLY well optioned example, most definitely not base). It's nice, which is why I went for Full leather interior, Light Design Package, etc. on my 981, as it really did make the car feel more specialButtons will be buttons and plastic being what it is, unless you have aluminum, ceramic, or Carbon Fiber buttons, they'll look the same in any carNot quite true, Maserati have a lovely soft rubber texture to their buttons & switches. The Panamera interior felt like a million bucks, such that any parts of it that can be considered cheap are barely noticeable.

Beyond that I drool over Ferrari interiors and leather. They are simply gorgeous. They do, of course, come hand in hand with Ferrari prices. Indeed they do LOL.

BMW is not on the level of materials and quality of higher end Porsches, and in my opinion Ferrari and Maserati have the nicest feeling interiors of any car out there. That must be where I'm going wrong - I must have been spoilt wrt premium quality interiors, as I also have a Maserati GranCabrio MC (the convertible version of the MC Stradale) LOL. Although I do think that a fully decked out BMW Individual M6 or 760Li can compete on interior quality with high end Mercs with Designo interiors, their top of the line. Audi, yeah up they suck. Never liked their interiors at all.

That all being said, the i8 isn't really a luxury car. It's a sports car. But given it's tech roots, I think BMW could have gone more all out with a high tech looking interior materials and some innovation. This thread and those damn cupholders. I see a niche aftermarket opportunity for, well, all 8 of us who GAF enough to do something about it But as I personally prefer OEM fitted options, I really hope that BMW do something about the rear passenger cup holder, front visors, headlining, etc!
In addition to my comments above (in blue), as the rear parcel shelf is offered in a leather finish (part of BMW's 'Pure Impulse Design Package'), and the door sill trims can be replaced, I plan to change these later on. All you have to do is order them as spare parts.
Appreciate 0