04-28-2014, 01:04 PM   #26
drlonline
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 i8 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddk632 View Post
I think that BMW's biggest issue is getting the buy-in from consumers and enthusiasts alike that a sports car can have dual nature (efficiency and performance) and do reasonably well at both, while not being the best at either.

My take on this car, which I think these numbers show, is that it's a sports car with everyday usable performance, that is fun to drive, very respectably fast but not supercar fast, and very efficient for around town running. It's the "almost best" of both worlds.

Asking it to be the very best of both worlds would be a tall order, so in light of that, plus these numbers, and the reviews that I've read in the past few days, I think BMW has nailed it.
David, I completely agree with your assessment. I love the idea of getting two cars in one and without having to pay an extravagant, albeit not inexpensive, price. Much as I love cruising in a sports car (can't wait to hit Mulholland Drive and the Santa Ynez valley), I'm not inclined to push it to the extreme limits, which seems to be where some of the reviewers found issues. Can't wait for the ordering to begin.
Appreciate 0