Carac
Captain
Rep
Drives: E30M3, E39M5, SLSAMG, RRS SVR

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by drlonline View Post
Here's the way Popular Mechanics expressed the same sentiment:

"The BMW i8 marks a moment in history when high performance plug-in hybrids are no longer relegated to the realm of uberexotics built of unobtanium and dreams. Although it's not exactly cheap, the i8 is a viable alternative to sports cars like the Audi R8 and Porsche 911 while delivering drop-dead gorgeous styling that may as well have been sketched by aliens. The i8 will never be everything to everyone, but that's the point. With this hybrid powertrain/exotic body mashup, BMW introduces an era when both efficiency and guts can live in the same striking body."

You can find the whole article here: http://www.popularmechanics.com/cars...lick=pm_latest
Exactly. I've already got more than one stupid fast gas-guzzling V8 car, that's not what I'm looking for in the i8. I'm a tech guy, I love the latest and greatest. I also understand the world can't sustain a market of nothing but planet be damned fuel consumption. And I also need the flexibility of a gas supported hybrid due to my location...so what have been my choices for an exciting, fun, plug-in hybrid sports car until now? I can't think of a single one. The i8 represents the first plug-in hybrid I've given a damn about. Everyone complaining that this isn't an ///M car needs to realize that's not what they're going for. Also understand that what everyone is asking for will be well over $250k so it's existence will be moot for most. I love the i8 for what it is, not lamenting what it isn't. You'll get your ///M supercar at some point, it just might be a bit longer. I don't think they'll let AMG and Audi have their bespoke performance brand cars (R8, SLS, AMG GT) get the market to themselves forever.
Appreciate 0