clbmw
Major
Rep
Drives: 320d M135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradleyland
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddk632 View Post
Promising it is. As much as we all want a proper BMW Supercar to compete with the likes of the SLS AMG, for now the idea of the i8's dual personalities grows on me further and further.

Driving the X6M around on the highway and around town when not pushing it feels a bit silly. When pushing it, it's perfect.

The i8 can be that car that is really economical for "regular" driving when you just want to cruise on the highway or down your favorite ocean road. And when you want spirited driving, it gives it impressively.

I can be honest, I didn't much care for this concept at first, but it has grown on me a lot.

I think that BMW's biggest issue is getting the buy-in from consumers and enthusiasts alike that a sports car can have dual nature (efficiency and performance) and do reasonably well at both, while not being the best at either.

My take on this car, which I think these numbers show, is that it's a sports car with everyday usable performance, that is fun to drive, very respectably fast but not supercar fast, and very efficient for around town running. It's the "almost best" of both worlds.

Asking it to be the very best of both worlds would be a tall order, so in light of that, plus these numbers, and the reviews that I've read in the past few days, I think BMW has nailed it.

I think also, like you say, BMW is ahead of the curve such that when this kind of car as a concept becomes more accepted, the i8 will be in further development, with possibly sister cars (i8 junior?) in the lineup.
I think you've really nailed it here. You also sound like exactly the kind of consumer BMW was hoping for when they conceptualized the i8.

If one looks at the Tesla, it's clear that Elon Musk managed to make a significantly uncompromised performance sedan. It's not entirely uncompromised, but it's very, very good. BMW appears to have done the same with the i8. Yes, there are compromises, but in places where the i8 is superlative, it dramatically exceeds the superlatives accomplished by other "entirely uncompromised" cars. Name one other car that can accelerate at the same rate, but scan still deliver the fuel economy of the i8. It's remarkable.
I agree, however there is also clearly appetite for, and a market segment for a BMW supercar.

If they can make a P1/918 competitor then all the better, but I doubt they'll stretch that far.
Appreciate 0