Thread: i3- Risky
View Single Post
      06-05-2014, 02:45 PM   #10
jadnashuanh
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 535iGT x-drive; i3 BEV

There has been some reports of improvements to battery tech as much as 10x current stock in both the energy density and the ability to accept a fast charge primarily based on nanotechnology. Now, when it comes out of the labs and can be mass produced at an economical price point is the big question. Until then, we get small incremental improvements. Optimizing all of them should produce a significant upgrade, and potentially the inclusion of cost effective super capacitors, overcome some of the instant energy transfer limitations of battery technology and augment their abilities.

Try driving your ICE 1/2-mile to the store, sit there, and back, with most other trips only in the 1-3 mile range, and see how long it lasts and what your average fuel usage is. An electric car doesn't really care about short trips, and when you never stress the battery, a good means of that sort of transportation. Certainly, not everyone's use pattern would allow many of the available EVs out there, but for me, the i3 would qualify for over 90% of my day-to-day use and save the ICE where it shines, on long-distance travel.
Appreciate 0