05-08-2014, 11:11 AM   #5
Tilum
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: i8 (on order)

Quote:
Originally Posted by professor_yo View Post
WOW!!! I am LOVING this green movement!!! However, solar panels are NOT cheap!!!
I had solar panels installed onto my property a couple of years ago. The cost to me?.... NOTHING
...It was to do with a UK government initiative - the company that installed (and maintains) the solar panels 'rents' the airspace on my roof from me, and in return they then qualify for a set-rate government rebate for any electricity that is generated by the panels. I get the use of free electricity which the panels generate, with any excess demands of electricity being taken from the grid. The solar panel company then get an additional set-rate government rebate for any excess electricity (generated by the panels) that is fed back to the grid (if I don't use it).
So it's a win-win situation - my electricity bills are reduced and the solar panel company gets the government rebates.
Yes I could have bought my own panels and got the government rebate myself. But based on the amount it would have cost me (as an individual) to buy and install the panels, it would take a minimum of 10 years before the initial outlay would have been recovered!

The plan with my (forthcoming) i8 is to leave the car plugged in, and top up the battery using the free electricity generated by the solar panels.
Appreciate 0