View Single Post
      07-02-2013, 02:12 PM   #99
SCOTT26
Major General
Rep
Drives: A big F-off German Truck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soorena View Post
Well put. If you are a regular buyer who just want something cheap to run, i don't see how this junk makes sense. It's ugly, it's not much cheaper to fully charge your batteries than filling up your tank (at least not in here), i bet maintaining is pricier (you don't swap your engine every 5 year), and i don't think they will be reliable (Electric glitches are part of BMW standard equipment) and at €36,000, this is way too expensive.

If you are a so-called environmentalist, things are a bit different. If you think God created you just to make world a better place for baby penguins and your life-time goal is hugging as many trees as you can my first recommendation to you is walking. That's the least polluting way of transportation. Then there is the Blue Motion VW's. Polo Blue Motion helps environment more than EV's (coal still is the biggest source of electricity). You can even get a sub 100 gr/km CO2 Golf diesel and while you are helping muses, you will help yourself by driving a very decent car that will do anything that i3 does plus more. And when you run out of fuel, you can simply refuel in a station in just few seconds something that an EV simply can't.

Hope this i project fails. At that point BMW have to get back to something they did best and that's making real cars.
FYI The BMW i3 MegaCity Vehicle will be offered in eDrive and ReX versions.
ReX is a range extended i3 with additional two cylinder BMW engine from the BMW Motorrad division.

If you hope that BMWs project I fails then you want the whole of BMW to fail.
This 1 billion investment just does not cover cars , but an entire new engineering approach at BMW which has left our more resourceful competitors way behind in developing new methods of material construction and production.

The i3 introduces the world to the first volume production car made from CFRP which is possible because BMW have perfected its CFRP use over the years allowing to be cost effective for use within the M6 , M3 and forthcoming M4 that our competitors cannot match.

Audi might have been pioneering aluminium space frame technology but where is their modern equivalent?
Everybody has caught up even BMW used aluminium tech in models like the Z8 and Rolls-Royce Phantom and in the front structure of the E60 5er.

The next generation 7er begins the transition to a production BMW within the core series, promising lightweight and the most technically advanced 7er and if not BMW ever with an entry 7er weighing the same as a 520d.

Project-I is not just about BMWi . It will cover BMW , BMWM , MINI and Rolls-Royce, the investment was to develop the technology , production , infrastructure to support the entire BMW Group. In order to meet strict legislation being forced onto auto manufacturers the initiative will allow BMW to further its ambitions to meet these targets ahead of their competitors.