View Single Post
      04-16-2014, 06:55 PM   #13
jadnashuanh
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 535iGT x-drive; i3 BEV

In the USA, in 2013, both the Leaf and the Volt sold slightly over 20K units and each of them has been on the market for a about three years. For a totally new vehicle to come out and approach those levels in its first year is impressive (course, it will be awhile to know what the USA sales figures are). Of those two, the Leaf is the closer competitor - the Volt is a plug-in hybrid, and has a different market and intended customer (as a single-car ICE replacement). Neither the Leaf nor the i3 is the only vehicle owned by a typical customer, and is a more focused client. Comparing plug-in hybrids and totally electric vehicles implies the seller has not gotten their message out, or people have not been listening. They are not interchangeable (one might argue the Tesla is, but try a long distance run off the interstates, and you may not agree).

As I've stated before, my typical vehicle use is primarily an occasional max 10-mile one-way run, with the more typical use of 1-3. This plays hell with an ICE when there is no regular longer runtime to clean out the crud from multiple short trips (especially in the winter) and is really hard on the battery, too. So, something that is designed and not impacted by that sort of use is a good solution. I'm sure I'm not the only one with this use pattern, and can afford a single use vehicle verses something less focused like the Volt. Even though the Leaf is bigger, it does not fit things I'd like to carry...the rear area is weirdly shaped, very common to other vehicles in the Nissan line - a very deep pocket with a big liftover - the i3's luggage area is flat, and level, a significant improvement.

But, it is natural to try to make comparisons, even when they really shouldn't be.
Appreciate 0