gooby pls
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4 SS Anthracite/Cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longboarder View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unkle Steve View Post
IMO if it's in any way possible BMW should do something similar to what Tesla did, which was replace the P90D with the P100D and offer the dated model for a spectacular discount.

Then we can have a face lifted i8 with more reasonable performance for the same cost and an i8s model that is meant to compete more with cars like the Audi R8. I'm not stating that the car should be terribly less efficient when it offers the additional performance, but if Tesla can engineer awesome performing cars under 150k, then I fail to see why it can't be done with BMW.

I understand that I'm comparing an electric car to a hybrid, but for the price that the i8 is being sold for (or even a hypothetical 's' variant sold above 200k), it should be able to provide a greater driving experience.
Tesla? If you ask anyone who actually is involved in motorsports activities, a Tesla is not a performance car. It is singularly dimensional in that it can take off quickly from a start a couple times if the battery is substantially charged and you push a bunch of buttons in a certain sequence which takes a lot of time. The launch control systems on real performance cars are simple to initiate and have few if any limitations. And real performance cars can actually perform well in all disciplines and offer incredible driving dynamics. Have you driven a Tesla? It's anything but performance oriented.

For similar money as a 100D, you could have a Porsche 911 Turbo. People are getting 2.3 second 0-60 times with these cars which is the same time that Elon Musk is saying makes the 100D the fastest car in the world or whatever. lol. I guess he is only referring to stoplight races as over 100mph the Porsche would fly away from the Tesla (as would most any other performance car in the triple digits). And when you are participating in motorsports activities, NOTHING is zero to sixty. Almost everything is over 100mph. Try to bring a Tesla to a road course event. Or an airstrip event. It would be extremely difficult because it will run out of batteries very quickly at WOT and would need to bring a remote charging station. And even if you did, it's slow at triple digit speeds so what's the point?

So basically you are limited to public road stoplight racing with a Tesla. Which is illegal. And dangerous. And it drives like a turd on it's best day. Glad BMW didn't make this car anything like a Tesla.
I suppose I shouldn't emphasize the term 'performance' when I'm only referring to speed. What I meant was that aside from aesthetics, the i8 should provide an additional incentive for customers to purchase it. In the case of Tesla, the P100D is available for those that want additional specs, and I referenced that primarily to point out that the current models can be replaced with something more enticing for consumers to consider.

I wouldn't dream of an i8 besting a 911 turbo in performance, let alone an R8. I'm only pointing out the potential that I believe it can have with generating more sales.
Appreciate 0