04-21-2014, 11:39 AM   #30
Teutonic
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carac View Post
I think people are losing sight of what this is. A carbon fiber passenger tub, carbon fiber body, plug in hybrid (electric motors and batteries aren't cheap), HUD, camera cruise, collision mitigation, etc, etc for a little less than a well loaded M6. The interior looks like typical BMW, which is just fine by me.

What most of you want would have put this car well above $200k, which (at the risk of sounding elitest) would have put it even more out of the price range of some people complaining about it. An inflation adjusted Z8 would have sticked for $170k these days, and the i8 is way more exotic in materials and design.

Long story, short. The interior is fine to me and even better when you realize where the rest of the budget went.
I think you are losing the ideea.
First, it is far from typical BMW quality. There are cars in the line up with better materials. I guess, you can not tell the difference. Even the OP is pointing out some aspects, obviously it is not typical.
Second, the plastic can be a different quality (what price increase can be?), the rubber seals can flow to meet the next piece not stop 5 mm before (that will require attention to detail not money since is already fabricated), the seats can have a different material which will fit a such car, the headliner can have a different quality, the cupholder can have a different design and a different technical aproach, the back seats can be properly done and fabricated without having wrinkles and a weird line, the inside pieces can be put together in a more subtle way than using obvious push pins. Even if i take those seats and have the custom made at a local shop will not cost me more than 3k; this without having BMW equipment and workpower. You are really exagerating in many aspects. When I spend a 140,000, I will gladily spend 10 more for a proper material.
This car does not address to the 30,000 buyer, so I strongly believe it is not about the price, it is just lack of attention to detail.
Did the money get in the technology? I think this is just a poor excuse, don't worry, they do have their profit.
However, would you buy a nice exterior super expensive house with some terrible floors, poor material kitchen cabinets and cheap windows?

Last edited by Teutonic; 04-21-2014 at 11:48 AM..
Appreciate 0