View Single Post
      06-11-2014, 11:00 PM   #2
jadnashuanh
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 535iGT x-drive; i3 BEV

BMWUSA, according to my dealer, at least as of a couple of weeks ago, has not come up with a recommended DC fast chargers for their dealers, but there are a few around and the i3 can be charged with those available. If you have the power available, and want to spend the money, there's at least one available for sale for about $3k (which is cheap for those things).

My guess is that you'll start to see them show up in the next 6-months. The final spec on the industry standard isn't all that old (last year sometime), and it takes awhile for things to be designed, tested, and produced, then delivered and installed.

My feeling is, since it is unlikely to be an easy or cheap retrofit (if possible at all, at least reasonably), the DC-fast charge option over the life of the car is a useful addition. I may be wrong, but I'm sure there would be times it would be nice to be able to do it, and you can't if you don't have that option installed.

There was a press release of the first one in CA, I think in Santa Monica maybe 6-weeks ago. They're coming...not that many around. But, then, look at how fast the level 2 units are now popping up...far more of them in just the last year than there were. As more and more vehicles show up with the capability, it will make sense for companies to install them. It's sort of the chicken or the egg situation.
Appreciate 0